Mixing at Home: Kansas City-Style BBQ Sauce
Heat… Stir… Slather…
Nothing tastes better than grilled meats doused in a perfect barbeque glaze. Try mixing up this easy recipe to achieve those finger-lickin’ ribs.
Ready in 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp neutral-tasting oil, such as grape seed or vegetable
- 6 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 slightly heaping tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- Pinch ground cloves
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups ketchup
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup dark molasses
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp English-style dried mustard
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook while mixing ingredients from Group A until paste is dark brick red, about 3 minutes.
- Add ingredients from Group B and adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Cook until the flavors come together, about 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaf before using.
Got an awesome recipe? Send it in and we’ll feature it.
Disclaimer: The recipes found on this website are provided as suggestions. We assume no obligation or liability, and make no warranties, with respect to these recipes.